12-21-09
Learning that I am Free
By: Annie W.
I believe that I'm free to do whatever I want to do.
I can definitely remember when my teacher first gave us the career project, in fifth grade. The teacher told me to have the first pick of what I wanted to be when I grow up. There was very long list with at least a hundred different options, there were three tall and long columns of names I could be. The teacher on the list caught my eye and that's when I remembered that my mom said, "Being a teacher is a good job." She also said that I would have lots of breaks on the weekends and in the summer. It would be fun working with kids drinking and eating snacks during class.' As my heart was raising and I was thinking if I wanted to choose teacher or not. It took me forever, but as I was thinking I choose the teacher. So then I had to write an essay on being a teacher. The essay took quite a while, and I had to look up a lot of facts on the computer and in a few picture books. Once I was done with the essay I realized it would be kind of boring to me, and I would have a lot of papers to grade. After the essay I decided I did not want to be a teacher.
When I picked to be a teacher, I thought about how to do my essay. I was thinking maybe I didn't want to be a teacher after all there was a lot of papers to grade and meetings. At first I was surprised and astonished I picked and wanted to be a teacher.Towards the end I learned I didn't want to be a teacher. I was pretty surprised about that too. I don't know what my mom would think, but I kind of like the feeling of following my own rules.
Now I am still a little surprised I don't want to be a teacher, and that I even picked to do my essay on a teacher. Now I think maybe I can be something that looks fun and interesting to me. Maybe I could work with manatees or own a craft shop. That would be pretty fun. When I grow up I'm going to be something thats really fun to me.
I know that I don't have to be a teacher. My mom wants me to, but I want to be something else. When I grow up I want to follow my heart. Today when I look at a teacher I wonder if they really like their job and what they think of it. I know that I am aloud to choose what I want to be. I can take classes in college for what I want to be in the future. When I grow up I now know I don't want to be a teacher.
good essay. i too believe that everyone is free to do what they want to do.
ReplyDelete-Nic Brooks
Annie, that was great! I thought it was really well writen!!! I think you would be very good at working with Manatees! You show alot of interest in it. Well, again, that was great. Have fun writing! :)
ReplyDelete-Faith Wilson
I loved your story. It taught me it's never a bad thing to try! Plus you would be awesome at working with manatees!
ReplyDelete-Sarah C.
I really liked your story it really told me that you can be what ever you want!
ReplyDeleteAnnie, When you think of what you want to be when you grow up, think about what you enjoy doing the most. Ask yourself, what could you do for hours and time goes by fast and ask what you are passionate about. Yes, you are free to do whatever you set your mind to doing!
ReplyDeleteGreat writing!
Miss Schmitt
Life is full of new choices, you just have to adapt.
ReplyDeleteMalia G.