A Slice of Happiness
By Malia Griffin
I believe even in the darkest times you will always find the light.
All I wanted in the whole wide world was a puppy. A yorkie puppy to be exact but it had to be a girl, so we could name it Sophie. But here’s the catch, my dad doesn’t want one. Even when I begged and pleaded, the answer was no. When I started 2nd grade, on came the letters.
My teacher Mrs. Geese taught us how to write letters. We all made letters and she mailed them. Of course mine was on how badly I wanted a dog. Here’s an example that my Dad can be mean when he wants to: When he got my letter he through it away. At school when we journaled, I wrote about how badly I wanted a dog. I wanted a dog so badly; I was frustrated with my Dad.
So my Dad got me to stop asking for a dog 24/7, but who said I didn’t still ask? I thought about my dog all the time. I spelled old wrong in spelling; I got 3 when I added 2+2. My mind was on the dog, not school. At the same time I felt my family didn’t care about me. I ignored my dad for the rest of the day, but could not stand that he wouldn’t get me a dog.
I grumpily walked in the door. I got a snack and watched TV while I ate it. My cat wearily greeted me with a purr, than fell asleep on my lap. I looked at him and thought about how my dog would do that too. Then a thought came to mind, I would get my dog myself.
It’s Christmas break and I’m very happy. ‘wanna know why? Tomorrow is Christmas Eve! I still didn’t have my dog but I think my Dad almost caved. As I sit and look at our Christmas tree, which we decorated with tinsel and ornaments, I think about what? My dog! I just hope that my dog will be here by Christmas. That would be the best gift ever!
It’s Christmas Eve and on Christmas Eve we open one present. Usually it’s clothes. I opened my present and I had gotten a cute nightgown. Then my dad said I had one more present. I probably looked confused, but he ignored it. So he ran out in the freezing cold and… He came back with my dog!
I grabbed my puppy and said “I’m going to call you Sophie”. I loved her, then my mom and brother came in with squeaky toys and a bed. It was the best Christmas Eve ever!! I love my dad and realized my family can show caring and compassion.
I still use this lesson as a reminder that my family loves me. Sophie is still with us, she is 4 now. And when I look at her it reminds me that my family loves me. My love and compassion for my family is never ending. About as never ending at the thank you’s for my puppy. I love my family, and my dog. I will always use this lesson.
Malia, I agree that you can always find the light among the dark times. It is not easy, but you can always find how you learned something from the experience that brought good. I have also learned to expect the unexpected in life. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteGreat writing!
Ms. Schmitt
Malia this is really great! You always can find a light! Also i have a connection! I have a puppy to who brightened my day!
ReplyDeleteEllieH
Great story! This has brought back a lot of memorys! Keep writing.
ReplyDeleteKole