The Big Game
By: Alex F.
At one point in everyone's life, they learn that life isn't all that fair. This is about when I learned that life-changing lesson and how it changed me.
It was July 13th, 2004. We were at Racoon River Park where soccer games are played. It was the championship game and the score kept bouncing back and forth. 1-1. 1-2. 2-2. The score was 7-7 and it was the final quarter. We didn't have much time left and both teams were getting tired, so our coach called a huddle to discuss the finishing play. He told us about what seemed to be the PERFECT plan, that is if everything got done right. Everyone was too anxious though about the after-party at Godfather's Pizza to listen. So we did the play, but a lot of things were off of what coach said, and the other team snuck a play of their own in and beat us 7-8. Having won the championship title, the other team started rubbing it in our faces, which was the worst. I never lost anything, but at that moment I realized I can't just sit back, I have to be dedicated to win. I have to make sure everyone works as a team.
What I learned was you have to be compassionate and dedicated to your sport if you really want to win. Back then I was really young so I, like most of us when we're little, thought that winning was everything. So when I lost that game, I was completely and utterly mortified because I had always won. I was sad for about a week, just remembering everything that went wrong and what I could have done better. After that I always worked twice as hard and to get as close to winning as possible. If I lost, I thought of it as another lesson.
Since then, I have used this lesson to mold the athlete I am today. I realized, to be a winner, you have to put forth effort. I have used this lesson when I swim to keep going forward. Whenever I do long-distance, I tell myself "imagine how good you're going to feel after" and "Just another lap, keep going." Losing that game was a big eye-opener to me. It made me realize that you can't win everything, no matter how much you want to. As good as it feels to win it doesn't always happen.
When I look back at this event, I often think how I could have done better. I think "what more could I have done to help us win?" This moment has made me put twice the amount of effort into school and sports. When you lose for the first time, it really hits you hard and you never forget it. So I've used this event to push harder. I always try harder than the last time. To all of you reading this, I want my experience to carry on with you. Once you put forth the effort, you'll be happy with the result.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It's just life and you can't let one little loss hold you back from doing what you love.
No comments:
Post a Comment