Our car got on the highway and led us into the mountains. Our trip so far in Colorado was going great, but I think this little trip into the mountains was definitely going to top it. We drove past many rivers, creeks, houses , restaurants , and various types of mountains (of course). I was so anxious to see what else there was here in the mountains.
Our first pit stop was in the town of Dillion. We saw a sign for the town and then we took a big curve and there it was, the whole town of Dillion right down there and then the actual mountain named Dillion. We went down a hill and then suddenly we were actually in the beautiful town I just overlooked. The town of Dillion was like any other town/city in Iowa. The town was filled with gas stations, grocery stores, a Curves exercising place, and lots of neighborhoods filled with log cabins instead of houses. This was my first trip into the mountains and I just couldn’t wait to see what else there was.
After looking at the mesmerizing mountains, I was starting to get hungry. “Mom, I’m hungry can we stop somewhere and grab a bite to eat?” I asked while holding my stomach to make it stop growling. I’m hungry too!” she said now on the lookout for a place to eat. I was totally in the mood for Chinese, but we settled for pizza instead. My boots chomped through snow as I was walking beside my mom into the pizzeria. We walked into the pizzeria and the smell of pizza automatically filled my nose. My mom ordered while I got a table. I looked around, the pizzeria was practically deserted, I mean it was around lunch time and everything so why wasn’t anyone here. The food finally came and was served on blue plastic plates. I picked up the big piece of pepperoni pizza , “HOT!” I screamed with a mouthful of pizza while waving both of my hands by my mouth. I swallowed the pizza and looked out the window and thought to myself that I am so lucky to be here, looking at the blue sky and snow on the ground, it was absolutely gorgeous.
I was so full from the pizza I just ate. We got back on the road to see what else there was in the mountains. As we got further and further into the mountains a ski lodge started to emerge and then to my left there was this gorgeous mountain. My face basically touched the glass of the window as I tried to get a better look. The car started to slow down and then we came to a stop, and I wasn’t sure why. My mom got out of the car and so did I. My mom had the camera in her hand and was taking pictures while I crouched down and played in the snow. My fingers went numb after the snow sunk through my gloves. My mom headed back to the car so I headed that way as well. More to come, more to see.
Time to go. It was getting late and we still had to get back to my aunt and uncle for dinner. We were passing everything we had on the way in. We stopped at a gas station for gas and I wanted to convince my mom to give me some money for hot chocolate. I tried to get out of the car, but the door was on child lock. My mom noticed and opened the door for me. She gave me money and I walked over to the gas station entrance while I left my mom fixing the car door. I came back out hot chocolate in one hand, left over money in the other. I reached my mom and turns out the door was more messed up than before, now the door didn’t even close when you tried to shut it. We had to make one more stop before we left for good, I didn’t mind because it just gave me more time in the mountains. We headed over to the car shop. I held the door tightly shut while my mom drove. We got there and my mom ran inside to get someone. She came back out with a man by her side. By the looks of it, I think she was explaining to the man what happened. It took the man under five minutes to fix the door. We headed out of the car shop parking lot and left. The smell of the left over pizza took over the car. And I knew I wouldn’t go on another trip to Colorado without mentioning going into the mountains ever again!!
No comments:
Post a Comment