Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lucky Me

Lucky Me
Friday October 29, 2010


I ran upstairs, brushed my teeth, made my bed, sprinted downstairs, and inquired my mom
“Can I go see if the new kid can play?”
She said I could, so I ran outside.
I was 4, and super shy, so I slowly walk up the street I start to have second thoughts. I start stalling by closely admiring the For Sale sign, noticing little features on the house, or just some other little thing. Then his mom comes outside to get the mail, and she sees me. Panic fills up inside me, my stomach starts to turn. I feel like running, but I don’t. I don’t know what made me do it, probably the thought of finally having a new friend. Then the new neighbor’s mom asks me if I want to come inside and play. I reply yes. I very slowly start walking inside, then I wonder what if he’s mean, blind, deaf, or some other thing? But I ignore that thought and keep walking.
When I first get inside, I don’t know what to think. Then I see him, blonde hair, bluish green eyes, and freckles. We both seem scared and just stand there, I wonder what to do when suddenly, he bolts away and is upstairs hiding in his room. I pictured this moment, this morning, and it looked completely different. His mom and I both walk upstairs and I start to wonder if running was a smart move, but before I could, his mom is trying really hard to get Ryan to come out of his room. Now I really hope he’s not weird. But I clear that thought. When I exit my mind and re-enter reality, he’s still not out.
After about 10 minutes of trying to convince him to come out, the door opens about an inch and his right eye peeks out, he looks around then “BANG!” his door slams closed again. Finally it’s silent and his mom opens the door and I squeeze in, but his mom stays out. I look around and see his room is a lot like mine, same fan, similar wallpaper, similar bedding. At that moment I knew we would become best friends.
I see him and I say “ Hi I’m Evan,”
And he says “ Hi I’m Ryan,”
Both of our voices sound shaky.
Then he asks, “ Do you want to go to the basement and play?”
“Sure!” I reply. So then we bolt past his mom to the basement.
We go downstairs, not knowing what to do. We finally decide to play with his Hot Wheels cars. We realize we’re a lot alike. Although he has changed me a lot, I used to think sports were ok, but now I love them. After awhile his mom called us up for lunch, we had macaroni & cheese. YUM! After lunch I realize how lucky I am to have a friend like him. We went back downstairs only to find a future of friendship ahead of us.


By : Evan D.

No comments:

Post a Comment