Love, Passion, and Feelings
By: Kai C.
For Nasim, Our love is never-ending
Chicago. I wonder what's in store. I will never forget the foul yet welcoming stench, city lights, people talking, and beeping taxis. And now it comes to life before my eyes once again.
I didn't want to leave, not yet anyway. “Dad, I don't want to leave to leave yet," I whimpered. “But there’s a surprise at home you don't want to miss!" I brightened up at the thought and his enthusiasm. We were in the car all ready to go to Grandma Joyce's, in other words, Family Central. "Ok," I announced, “Let’s go!" I wonder what the surprise is, I thought. Ooooo, maybe it's a pony, was my first thought. Noooo, too funky, Grandma wouldn't like that. Maybe it's a new dog, or a new guppy, or.....
My mind trailed off to the many possibilities of surprise. I was just fine where I was.
I got out of the car and waited for dad to get my bags. He acted so normal not excited like the rest of the family would be. I opened Grandma's door and yelled," Hey Grandma Joyce, its Kai!" I knew my result would people running like Neanderthals toward me. Well they weren’t Neanderthals but after many gasps around the house they soon found their way to the door to greet me. I haven’t visited in a while and knew they missed me. I missed them too of course. When they had faded out and walked away after many question, I saw Jocelyn. She is my step mom and she is having another baby. Wow she sure looked tall. Her stomach looked like it was going to explode! “That’s 4 siblings, not so bad," I thought," What about my spotlight?"
I had grown up with the attention on me. When Nyela was born, she was always with the family so when I came along the spotlight was on me. She didn't know what to name him a Nya and I had ideas a plenty." Jacob, Benjamin, Sarah!"
“It’s a boy." “oh, Sari!" All the kids so far names started with N. Nyela, and Naomi. Anyway I was happy on the out side, but on the inside I knew my Baby Kai Spotlight was fading away.
Jocelyn and Dad sat me on the couch. "Oh great," I thought,"A talk." I felt like running to the living room and banging on the piano like a mad-women. But, I stayed calm on the outside, not letting anyone know how crazy I was going on the inside. They explained to me that they were having a baby on February 2, 2008. I tuned out of the conversation and faced my little sister Naomi, I hadn't got to see her when she was born or when she turned one or 2. I felt bad knowing this was one of our first encounters and she was already 2 years old. "What if this happens with the new baby?" I asked myself. I sank it to the cool leather sofa and imagined myself with the new baby. I rest back and tapped my feet to the rhythm of Naomi's breathing. It's good to be home.
I felt relieved to know that I would be visiting again soon. I would get to see Nasim! That is what Jocelyn named him. It was my father's middle name. Every night I thought of what he would look like. "I hope he looks like me" I had said to myself that night. Growing up anyone who wasn't a girl was foreign to me but I always got along with pets... and boys. I remember the first time I saw nasim, just a newborn. He had small, round eyes, the tiniest version of my gigantic nose and plump, peach colored lips. Nasim smiled a toothless smile that sent me over the edge. He was MINE! MY little brother, in MY family. The love between us never ended. Even when he had pneumonia and receiving constant asthma attacks, I was at his side when I could. Even when he threw up or blew up the bathroom, we were best friends no matter what happened in the whole wide world. Nothing at all. Except for me moving to Iowa.
I held Nasim for the last time before I departed. Have you ever held something so precious to you that if you bent or squeezed it, it would break? Nasim was ever so precious to me and life would be SO different in another state. But once again, it's life. The family nicknamed him Simi without my consent. I thought it didn't fit but was cute. A couple months later I heard he was talking! His first word was Family! I called a lot and listened to him gurgle and babble, but now he was talking! I was elated. Family is all you need and everything.
Thank YOU!
No comments:
Post a Comment