The Devil's Throat
I can't believe we're going to a cave! I am so excited! I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! My mom told me it is called the Devil's Throat. She said it was named that because whatever goes into the cave's river never comes out; like it is being swallowed. I wonder what we will find in there? Bones? Money? Lost people from the group before? I can't wait! I bet my sister's even more excited, even though she only likes souvineirs. I finish packing and go help my sister.
"Alex, time to go!" my mom yells.
"Finally!" I think on the inside, but on the outside I say "Ok Mom." We get in the car and start driving. My teeth clench with anxiety. It takes around an hour to get there, more or less. We park and have a quick lunch. Then we head in.
The first thing I do when I go in is shiver. My mom hands me my coat and holds my sister's hand. We head farther in and just when I am about to think this is a hoax, I hear the sound of trickling water. We push forward and see a river! And not just an itty-bitty one, but one that is gushing water. It is so big and powerful, that there was mist everywhere! I am about to take more of it in, when our guide points us to the stairs and explains that we have to climb over 300 steps to see what we came here for, the biggest cave waterfall in the world! I am scared of heights but I push forward and decide to climb. We climb and climb until my legs are about to give up when we see a bright light.
We are at the top! The light we see is the sun! I never thought I would be so glad to see the sun. We are standing on a stone platform with handrails. I push my way through the crowd of people until I see it. The biggest cave waterfall in the world! It looks like the tallest man in the world 100 times taller! After awhile our guide tells us to go back down the mountain when it hits me: we just went up a mountain from the inside! We walk back down sampling herbs from shops.
On the way back down, it feels like a lot longer walk then it was on the way up. My legs are aching by the time we get to the car.
"FINALLY" I choke. We all get in the car happy to sit down and when my mom puts the key in and turns it, the engine isn't going.
"Uh oh" we say in unison.
We keep turning it and turning it until it finally starts.
"Thank the lord" I say. We drive back home and laugh about how if we went any farther our legs would fall off.
"We should go again sometime" my mom says.
"That sounds fun" I say, and we all head home.
No comments:
Post a Comment