Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My new sister

My New Sister

‘Hira’ someone gently shook me awake. I groaned and turned over.
I was mad at my mom for waking me up at 4:00 AM, but that thought quickly faded. Come on Hira she said the baby’s coming. I pulled the covers over my head. Can’t the baby wait till morning I said sleepily? Sorry Hira, oh and by the way we are going to drop you off at Saba’s house for the night, and those were the only five words I heard.

I quickly pulled on the first pair of sneakers I saw, stuffed an old backpack with some belongings, ran down the stairs slamming the door behind me and jumped into the car. 15 minutes later we pulled into Saba’s driveway. A light flickered inside. ‘Come on, we don’t want to be late to the hospital Hira’ my mom exclaimed. I hopped out of the car and slammed the car door behind me. As we approached the front door sound of feet on the stairwell came from inside the house. I rang the doorbell twice. Saba’s mom answered the door with a smile on her face.

I climbed the stairs slowly to Saba’s room. I opened the door a crack to see
Saba, her long black hair in a neat ponytail wearing an old T-shirt and striped pajama pants. She giggled as I joined her. Within two minutes we were laughing our heads off for no particular reason. Saba’s mom opened the door and told us to start getting ready for bed. Reluctantly we followed her orders.

I started to brush my teeth. The peppermint toothpaste taste lingered in my mouth like peanut butter in a sandwich. I ran the brush through my hair a few times and strode off to Saba’s room closing the door shut behind me. I landed with a thud on the mattress set out for me as we started talking about the kids at school and what clothes all the girls in school were wearing. On and on we went until we finally gave up and decided to get some sleep.

I shut my eyes but nothing happened. I was so anxious to see what my new sister would look like I could not keep my thoughts off of her. I imagined dark brown eyes and short black hair just like mine then I fell into a deep sleep.

I woke up as sunlight poured through the window. I looked up at Saba’s alarm clock.
It read 11:45 AM. I pushed the covers off of me and trudged sleepily out the door. On my way to the bathroom, I heard a baby’s crying. I looked in the living room and there was nobody there, then in the TV room with the same result. I looked in the kitchen and there was my mom sitting with an adorable baby in her arms. I screamed MOMMY and plopped into her lap. She asked me if I wanted to hold my new sister. Her name was Rida Ahmad.

I held the small baby in my arms her tiny finger wrapped around mine. I knew one thing for sure I was her big sister, and as her big dark brown eyes looked up at me with wonder a huge smile spread across my face.

By: Hira Ahmad

No comments:

Post a Comment