Crash, Boom, Crack….MOM!!
Have you ever marveled what it would be like to smash your finger (or thumb) in a hinge of a door? I have. I was helping my mom construct my brothers’ bunk beds, when exactly that happened….to my brother.
My mom and I were functioning as fast as we could (trying to get done before dinner) without messing up. Basically, we were working as fast as snails. Finally we got the first bed built. ½ way there! I was about to say something, when my brother, Benjamin’s piercing shriek rang through the house. Horror scenes overflowed in my mind. What could be wrong? My mom bolted out the door and up the stairs to find out what was wrong. I soon proceeded after her, tears assembling behind my eyes because I was worrying so much.
When I reached my mom, I found Elizabeth (my sister) shaking and crying. I was pretty sure I heard her apologizing over and over again for something in between sobs. Uh, oh, I thought. That can’t be good. Then I saw Benjamin. His thumb was black, blue, and purple. My first contemplation was, EEEWWWW!! Then I felt bad and wondered what had happened. Tears blinding his eyes, a look of pain, distress, and horror extended over his face. It was heart breaking. My mom mouthed five words; slammed, in, hinge, of, door.
My mom hoisted Benjamin up and asked me to get him some ice and Tylenol. I was so worried! I kept pondering if he had broken it or not. I practically sprinted to get the Tylenol and ice, but when I tried to bestow them to him, he refused. In my head, the same thought came over and over again; what are we going to do!?
My mom was running out of options. I could see the frustration and worry in her face. She instructed me to call the Spinellis. I called, wondering what I was going to say. No Answer. I called again. No Answer. Worry slowly crept into my mind even more. My mom told me to call the McKellars. Again, no answer. I called again. No Answer (were none of our doctors home?).
Finally, without inquiring of my mom, I called my dad. He told me to do the same thing (after all, great minds think a like :D). Soon, I just gave the phone to my mom. I was really worried.
Soon, my dad arrived home. He said that it was not broken or sprained (thankfully), but said that the nail would probably fall off. I was thankful and disgusted at the same time. My mom said that Benjamin should just go lie down and try to fall asleep so that what had happened would hopefully escape his memory so that he would be in less pain. I was so-o-o-o relieved!
When we finally arrived at the doctors, the swelling had started big time. He presented us with some medicine to give to Benjamin. I am so glad that he didn’t break his thumb. When we arrived home, my mom and I went back to constructing the beds.
-Kristina I.
No comments:
Post a Comment