Always Follow Your Heart
By Shawana S. 12/20/10
When was the last time you lied? How did you feel about it? I believe honesty is the one thing that’ll reach you to success and keep you on a higher level of life.
I was glued to my seat, trying to figure out what to do. While my friend Megan was being yelled at, I was trying to find the answer to my question. Should I tell the truth? It happened this morning of 2nd grade when I was 7, Megan and I went over to the teacher’s desk to check out her picture frames. The teacher wasn’t in the room. Reaching over to grab one of the frames, I spilled something. There was coffee located next to the teacher’s important documents. Obviously, the coffee chose to fall on the IMPORTANT thing. Too scared and afraid of getting in trouble, I sneaked to my seat and sat there like an angel who hadn’t done anything, but was I an angel? Megan was still standing by the desk and didn’t notice my actions in fact, no one did. The teacher stepped in and froze. Megan noticed what happened and she knew she was going to be framed. Back to the angel question, the answer is no. Even though it was me, I couldn’t spill the cat out of my bag. My lips were sealed shut. To conclude, that day I figured you should always be truthful or the dishonest event keeps attacking you back.
Now, I realize I learned an extraordinary lesson about following what your heart thinks is right not what your brain thinks. You can’t change things from the way they are. I felt crazy and dumb about having Megan take the load and suffer. I didn’t tell anyone that I did it because I was too scared. I felt really guilty. When the incident happened, I was frozen at the moment. Frozen, my brain was not working. Furthermore, I couldn’t be called honest, trustworthy or caring. Megan would hang out with me, not knowing that I did everything. For the most part, she was over the whole scene. She didn’t care about what happened. Did I mention she was easy-going? The teacher didn’t ask anyone furthermore than Megan about the coffee spilling. In a way I was happy, but still had a guilty feeling. Knowing that I wasn’t satisfied with what I had done, I didn’t want to let anyone down especially Megan. I didn’t want to tell anyone.
I have used this lesson to help me realize what happens when you don’t listen to your heart and spill out what’s right. I think twice before what I say. This gave me a habit of being careful for what I do and don’t. It also made me realize how friends can be. They’ll always be there when you need them! This made me see the real side of Megan and the teacher. I have used this lesson to help me decide the right thing to say before I do anything. I remind myself about this event anytime I try to lie and of course I tell the truth! It amazes me that after this incident, how I have a totally different picture of myself! I feel real guilty about the whole thing.
When I look back at this event, I think about how my personality and thinking of myself has changed. As a person, you can never be perfect no matter how well you think you do in things. Never think you’re awesome! There is always a time and place you make a mistake and can’t take it back. You feel overwhelmed and surprised about what you’ve done. Sometimes, you learn from your own experiences. You learn it the hard way. You can’t change the way life is, no matter how perfect or mixed up things are!
Each day you have a chance to see the real you. When is yours? Don’t ever think you’re perfect!
No comments:
Post a Comment