Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What a Weekend

What a Weekend
By: Brianna B.
Date: 11/1/10

I couldn’t wait for the weekend to begin; I thought as I jumped off the bus and sprinted home. It is going to be so much fun. We were going to be at my grandma and grandpa’s house. Yeah I know what you’re thinking, what are you going to do there? Well it is so much fun. I’ll get to drive the tractor, sit in the combine, play with the kitties and much more. I remember when my mom mentioned to me that we were going to grandma and grandpa’s all these thoughts popped in my mind there were lots, but mainly I was thinking this is going to be so much fun! I can’t wait.
I dashed in the house and bolted up the stairs and finished packing. Then I ran back downstairs to say goodbye to my dad, who was leaving early for grandma and grandpa’s. I am going to wait here for mom to finish packing and then I’ll ride with her to grandma and grandpa’s along with my five-year-old sister Becca.
After we were all packed we headed our way to grandma and grandpa’s house. On the way there mom and I talked while Becca took a nap and I read my book. The second I spotted the road to their house I felt a leap of excitement! My excitement kept growing as we pulled in the driveway. When we got to the house I grabbed some of my stuff, like my book and opened the door to the house.
“Hello!” I yelled.
“Hi!” exclaimed my grandma.
We went and unloaded our things into the house. Once we were done with that I ran to play with the cute little three month old kittens. Becca of course was right behind me. We both sprinted to the barn/shed and there they were the cute little fuzzy balls. Of course Zack was the easiest kitty to catch or grab, he didn’t even care really. I kept petting him for awhile until grandma asked us to come in.
She wanted to give Becca a surprise. It was some dolls that grandma had bought. Becca was sooo excited. I helped her take it all apart.
After that was done, it was time for supper. It was so good. I can still taste the chicken. Yum! It was fun to talk to my grandpa, Uncle Dave, my dad, Becca, grandma and my mom. We got to laughing about the silliest things. We kept jabbering about my cousins Maddie and Mitchell and the funny things they have done. Of course I’d heard them a ton, but it is still kind of funny. Then my mom brought brownies in for dessert. I didn’t have one because I was so full, but it looked really good.
After that Becca and I sprinted back to the shed to try to catch the other three kitties. We only found three and only caught Zack with our luck, but still it felt so good to hold him and feel his little heart beat. He is so sweet! But I was upset that we couldn’t catch Stripe, who is gray with gray stripes and Jacob who is black and reminds me of Jacob Black in the Twilight series and Avery who is black and so cute. Once we were done trying to catch the kitties we bolted back in the house.
I drove the remote control car that grandma had got Becca for her to play at grandma’s house. I drove it around the kitchen for awhile until it was time to go to sleep. I was sooo excited for tomorrow to begin!
In the morning when I woke up everyone was down stairs. I sprinted down the steps careful not to fall on them they are steep. I came down stairs and spied the table all set with pancakes, eggs, bacon, and muffins. I had two pancakes, a ton of bacon, and a half a muffin. It was all so good! We started jabbering about the fields and laughing about all the silly things my family has done.
We were all talking and laughing again. While everyone started taking their plates in me, mom and grandma started bringing the food and the cups in the kitchen.
My Uncle Dave came and told me and mom some new that was hard to hear.
“Did you know our Jakey died” he asked us. (That is their dog.) Me and mom both stopped what we were doing and looked up at him and said, “No, when?” “Monday” Dave said. We both started to get tears in our eyes. “We think he had a heart attack” Dave said. “He was just laying there and Sophie still hasn’t got used to him being gone yet.” Dave said. “Oh, that’s sad! I said. “Yeah.” He replied leaving to go get in the tractor.
Later after we had finished getting the things put away grandma told us how she found out, which was by my Aunt Shanell and how my cousins Maddie and Mitchell had both cried. She also emotionally said when my other two aunts found they were sad too. It’s pretty sad she finally said before I ran out to the shed to play with the kitties.
Again I only found three this was starting to make me nervous. Where was Avery? That’s what Becca named her kitty. I dashed in the house a little nervous and told Becca and Grandma my news.
“Grandma do you know what happened to one the kitties?” I asked. She looked down and finally said.
“Avery got ran over by some friends of mine when they were coming for supper.
Becca started crying about it and about Jakey and I walked quickly upstairs. My eyes welted with water. Jakey and now this, it’s so unfair. I was even there the day that they got Jakey. He was just a puppy so he was a little wound up. His tail waging all over, but he was such a good dog. As he got older he didn’t get so wound up and he was inside the house more.
I remember the times I had seen him, the things I remember playing with him. I tried to remember the last time I had seen him. It was right after the Fourth of July. We were dropping Mitchell off, as we were driving home. It was also the first time I got to meet Sophie. They had got her because they knew it was almost Jake’s time.
Then Avery I remember the first time I saw her. She was the nicest out of all of the four. We played camp with them for days. Maci and I being the leaders and Becca and my cousin Gavin being the kids. We did games with the kitties and even made a clubhouse for them. It had chairs and towels to lie on the ground with.
And now she was gone. Why hadn’t she spied that car and got out of the way? It’s just so sad, poor Jakey, poor Avery.
To get my mind off things I looked out the window and saw dad coming up the hill in the tractor. I followed him until he came out of the tractor.
“Can I go with you?” I asked.
“Sure, but first will you go make me a sandwich and some chips?”
“Sure” I said as I leaped to the house.
I got ready two sandwiches, one for me and one for dad, two bags of chips and a few chocolate bars. Then without thinking my cell phone and sprinted to get into the tractor.
Once we got to the cornfield dad said “You want to drive now?”
“Sure!” I said with excitement. I drove up the hill until grandpa filled the wagon up. Then on the radio thing in the tractor I chatted to grandpa about maybe coming in the combine after I ate. So I drove some more. It was really fun.
Then we had to stop because there was a support stake for a power pole in the field. It was like a metal long stick. Dad had to hook a huge long chain to the tractor to pull it out. He kept backing up until all of a sudden a huge pile of dirt came out. It was long and huge! It was way longer than we thought it would be.
After that we got on the radio and exclaimed to my grandpa that we had got it out. He was pretty happy, grandpa said thanks and dad and I drove up the hill. (I drove and dad told me where to go) up another hill. Then we stopped and waited for grandpa to fill us up again.
While we waited we ate our lunch. It was really good, although the chocolate was the best. We kept on waiting for grandpa. I was so excited to be going in the combine with grandpa. It’s fun to watch him drive it!
Then grandpa came on the radio and wondered if I wanted to come join him in the combine to give him company because he was getting a little sleepy. Of course I said yes so him and dad both stopped.
I grabbed my things which were my vitamin water, a chocolate bar and my sweatshirt, but then when I opened the door I remembered my phone. I set it on my sweatshirt and came down the ladder.
I looked up and saw grandpa coming down the combine ladder. I was trying to hurry to him but it’s kind of hard to get through a combined cornfield. So I was jumping, running and being goofy. When I got to the combine grandpa was waiting for me.
He said, “Go to the driving seat you’re driving!”
“Really!” I said smiling.
I had never driven the combine before. Grandpa showed me how you drive and then asked “You ready?”
“Yep” I replied with excitement. At first it was really hard and grandpa had to help me a lot, but finally I got it.
“Oh brother” my dad said on the radio.
I just rolled my eyes and kept driving. I was pretty good me and grandpa decided. Let me tell you at first I was pretty scared about driving, but once you got the hang of it, it was pretty easy!
When we finished that field we had to switch seats. I sat down on the seat and immediately started jabbering about middle school, how it is way better than elementary and how you get your own freedom. We talked about all my classes, like what I’m working on in each one. It was so much fun to talk about all that.
Then when I stopped jabbering I started looking for my phone. It wasn’t on my sweatshirt like it was supposed to be. Grandpa said he hadn’t seen it when I came in. I looked around the inside of the tractor, but still no luck. Where could it be? I know I had taken it with me when I got off of the tractor.
I could feel my heart pounding. What if I had dropped it? Don’t think that way I told myself because it has to be around here somewhere. Grandpa radioed my dad and wondered if it was in there and he said no. Now I really started to panic, my heart beat even faster and I could feel sweat on my forehead. I kept looking thou.
Grandpa eventually said, “How about we go back to where you switched over to the combine and just turn off the tractor and the combine and try to call it using my phone.
“Okay, I just don’t know what happened to it.” I said trying to be brave.
Grandpa and Dave both stopped and we went to the area where we had switched. We all split up and started looking. I turned my back to them while I looked. I was so mad at my self for losing it and I felt bad for making Grandpa and Dave stop working to help me find my phone. I kept calling knowing it won’t help because it was on vibrate and only had one bar left.
I kept holding back the tears but it’s really hard to do that. Finally I called dad and told him we needed his help. He said that he would be down there soon. He also said that Mom, Grandma and Becca were on their way to help look. I kept looking until they got there.
The second they got out of the car I ran to Grandma and burst into tears. I had tried so hard to hold them back but it was hard. I kept thinking about the first time I got my phone this summer and all the pictures I’d taken with it and all the places it had gone with me.
“I just don’t know what happened to it.” I finally managed to say.
“It’s okay, maybe we will find it or maybe not, but it’s going to be okay either way. Just think about your dad with his phone.” She replied sweetly.
“What does it look like?” Grandma asked.
“It is bright blue.” I said.
We all split and took a row all looking for my phone that I dropped. Finally we told the guys to go back to work and we’ll keep looking for it. If you have ever been in a cornfield after it has been combined it is so hard to find anything since there is dust and corn husks everywhere.
I thought it was impossible. I thought I had already learned my lesson last week when I had left seventy dollars in the mall with my brand new wallet and someone had turned it in, but no I had to learn it again. It’s like my dad when he was in Singapore this summer he had lost his brand new phone that he bought for the business trip and he isn’t usually forgetful, either am I so this is so not the normal.
Then my mom noticed the tractor tracks in the field and I remembered that we parked the tractor right across the field from the pole that we had pulled out earlier that day. So we started looking in that area. We looked for another ten minutes and just when I was about to give up grandma screamed with excitement. “Brianna!”
I turned around as quickly as I could. She was holding my phone in her hand. I blinked making sure I wasn’t dreaming and sprinted to her as fast as I could.
“Really!” I yelled as I sprinted over to her.
There it was my blue phone. I hugged her so tight.
“Grandma you are such a good finder and you never give up!” I said excitedly.
“You are so lucky!” mom exclaimed.
Grandma is probably such a good finder because she had four kids, but still that is amazing.
I am so so lucky I thought as I rubbed off all the dust! Then we leaped back in the car just as dad came around the corner in the tractor. I ran as fast as I could to him holding up my phone and smiling with excitement.
“You found it!” he said.
“Yep Grandma did, but all of us helped.” I said. It took about an hour to find.
We jabbered some more about how lucky I was and then dad had to go. We got back in the car and called my grandpa and Uncle Dave and told them. They all said the same thing that I was so lucky. I felt really lucky, first the wallet and now this! On the way home that’s all we talked about. I felt so good! It could have been ran over, but it wasn’t. It was dead, needing charging and dusty! I’m so lucky!
After we had gotten back to grandma and grandpa’s house I helped grandma and mom get the table set for supper.
“Is this where the potatoes go?” I asked.
“Sure.” Mom said kindly.
After we had everything on the table the guys came in to eat. You can tell because the noises of the tractors are really loud. It’s like a buzzing sound. They came in laughing wanting to hear my story.
They were of course laughing at me and saying “You’re so lucky” and “Did you learn a huge lesson or what?”
The truth is I felt really lucky it felt like it was just a dream. Yes I learned a huge lesson, be careful with your things and they will be just fine as long as you care for them just like a pet.
So the next morning before we left to go home I said goodbye to my cute little kitties and jumped in the car. As I waved goodbye to Grandma I was thinking what a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment