Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Believing

I believe that you should stick to what you believe, no matter what others think. If you really believe in something you won’t change your thoughts.
Once my dad tested my belief in the Steelers. We were watching the Steelers play. They were loosing. Then my dad broke the silence saying, “I don’t like the Steelers anymore. In fact, I like the Detroit Lions.” The thought of traitor shot through my head. I thought in my head, should I follow my dad? I started to think of all my Steelers stuff, all that gone to waste? Finally I said “I’m still a Steelers fan.” My dad, with his surprised-struck face, gave up and started to cheer for the Steelers. I felt satisfied. That day I showed my belief in the Steelers was Unbreakable.
What I realize now is that I did not only surprise my dad, but I broke away from following him. When the first thought of traitor set in I thought it was there to stay. But then I started to fall for the test. When dad gave up so quickly, I was surprised. He usually makes sure I don’t want to change my mind, and he tries to persuade me to his side. When I think about it, I shouldn’t have been satisfied, it was just a test. My dad was not surprised as much as he was happy that I was thinking my own thoughts.
I have used the lesson today to help me be a more independent person. I can use this lesson when I’m alone to have my own ideas for anything. If there is a situation where I have to lead, I can make good decisions without help. Even if it is just a football game in my backyard, or as big as getting out of a burning house. This also makes me a better student so I can work alone, or with a group. It still surprises me that this small incident can still help me now!
When I look back at this event, I feel good and feel the same. I feel good because it was the time I broke away and thought my own thoughts. I feel the same knowing it was just a test. I learned this was an important time in my life. Even though it was small, it still guides me while I make decisions. This incident reminded me to try to think my own thoughts all the time I can.
You may THINK you believe in something, but think deeper. If there is a possibility that it can change, you don’t believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment