Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Accident

The Accident!
By.Natalie E.
I couldn’t imagine why I didn’t wear a helmet, “now”, but then I was only five and I didn’t know any better. Still there I went. AAAHHHHHH… I screamed! I can’t even tell you what happened next.

I was at my friend Sarah’s house when it all happened. We were in her garage. I love going to Sarah’s she’s my best friend. We always have fun together. So I was so excited to play with her.
Our moms were in the driveway talking. Sarah and I were messing around on her bike and I said I wanted to ride it down the driveway. She said “O.k.” and so I got on.

“Do you want a helmet?” Sarah asked.
“No!” I snapped. I’m big enough. I thought.
“O.K.” said Sarah. “Ready, Set, Go!”
I zoomed down the driveway. “Wahoo this is fun,” I yelled. Oh no I couldn’t stop! I was freaking out. Across the street I went, luckily there were no cars coming. BAM! I hit the curb. “AAHHH…” I screamed as I flipped over. WAM! I hit my face on the curb. I thought the curb went through my face! All I could feel was pain and agony through my chin. I lay there dazed, crying. Our moms and Sarah came rushing over. What happened? I thought. My mom took me home, told me everything was all right, and gave me a bath to clean me off. All of sudden I got glassy eyed so my mom called an emergency nurse. The nurse thought I had a concussion and told us to go to the hospital.

Once we got to the hospital, I was in a room with no other patients. The room was small with blue wallpaper, no windows, and a pinkish red bed. There were lots of children’s books too. We found out I didn’t have a concussion, just a bruised tooth and face. I was laying there when Social Services burst through the door and started asking questions about me. “Oh my gosh.” I thought, “What are they doing here? Are they going to take me away?” They asked my parents why they had beaten me so badly. My parents said they didn’t. “So what happened?” Social Services asked my parents. My parents told them I had flipped on a bike. They didn’t believe my parents. So they decided to ask me what happened. I said I didn’t know. How was I supposed to know I was only five. They ended up leaving without me, luckily.

After that I just remember laying there thinking about why didn’t I wear a helmet? Then I got up and got a Strawberry Shortcake book and read it. It felt so peaceful and quiet, just sitting and reading quietly. Then after that I was just so thankful and I knew I was safe now. I loved and cherished that moment, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment