My heart stopped, and my brain raced with questions as my dad told me the terrible news, my grandfather had just lost his battle to lung cancer. I could not believe it; he was almost perfect the previous night when we saw him. I just could not wrap my brain around the idea that he was truly gone.
A few days later, we drove up to go to his visitation. I saw a lot of friends and family that came to share our grief. Grandpa had on a beautiful suit. My dad went over and put an Iowa pin onto his lapel, to symbolize an Iowan. Grandpa also had a little smile on his face, as if he was trying to tell me every thing was going to be okay.
The next day we headed to the Alden Cemetery to go and burry him. I stood under the family tent right next to my dad. I saw his beautiful casket glistening in the sun. My grandfather also served in the war so, of course, he was honored with a 21 gun salute. When they finished shooting the bullets, they gave the shells to grandma. She then handed one shell to each of us. I saw grandpa go down into the grave. Everyone had tears in their eyes.
For those few days I really tested my faith, especially when I saw him go. I will never forget my Grandpa, Lorenz Dale Hansen.
When he died I realized how much I really cared about him. I know now that I wasn’t the only one who was having grief about the loss. My family and My grandpa’s friends and even my friends had grief for us. When he died though, I thought it was the end of the world because I thought he would never die. When I think about that, I become very sad because I was very close to him, but I also knew that I will see him again one day. Even though he is gone I am very glad because he is not suffering anymore.
I have used this lesson to love everyone that I am close to now before they are gone. I have also learned not to hold grudges because it is very tragic to see families not talk to one another until they can’t anymore. It has also helped me to understand that everyone has to go sometime, so you need to let go when it is time. It really amazes me how people really don’t appreciate the people until it is too late.
When I look back at this event I feel very sad, but at the same time filled with hope. Ever since he died I have always thought of him as my guardian angel watching over me and protecting me from life’s challenges. I really can’t wait to see him again, I can’t wait to hug him and feel close to him again.
My Grandpa was a very unforgettable man for so many reasons. He was a loving and caring grandpa, just everything about him was unforgettable. I loved him very much, even though I was sad to see him go, but everyone is sad to see loved ones go, just like I was.
Even though I miss him deeply, I believe that he is happier in heaven with no more pain or suffering, This I believe.
That is really good I could really relate to that!!!
ReplyDeleteEmily L.